Even though Marketers Delight 5.0 is a major new release, a specially made updater process has been made to help your site best upgrade from MD4.9.x to MD5.0!
If your site is already running an older version of Marketers Delight, you will want to follow this guide step-by-step to get the best results for a smooth upgrade.
Again, as MD5.0 is a major new release it will not be as simple as clicking a few buttons like you are used to, so you may need to set aside some extra time to configure your new settings and cleaning up your child theme (if running one).
Marketers Delight 5.0 is the most stable and complete version ever released and is worth updating your site to as soon as possible, so clear some extra time for some “Website Spring Cleaning” and to play with the excellent new design and marketing features in MD5.0!
Tip: Upgrade on a Staging Site First
The least stressful way to perform a major upgrade is to do it on a staging site, and I highly recommend you run the updater there first before your live site (or just push it over when you’re done).
If you notice any settings are missing or need to make design tweaks your staging site will give you a heads up at what you need to do to ensure your website is running 100% after the upgrade.
HEY! — Before doing anything to your live site, make sure you have a solid backup and restoration plan just in case things go wrong.
How to Upgrade Your Existing Website to MD5.0
Follow the steps below exactly to update Marketers Delight, child theme, Dropins, and other upgrade tips.
To begin, make sure your license key is active so you can get the MD5.0 update sent to your site.
With your license key active, go to Appearance > Themes and click the yellow update nag for Marketers Delight 5.0.
The theme files are now being uploaded to your site and should only take a few seconds to finish. After the MD5.0 files are on your server, return to the Themes panel to refresh the admin.
Note: if you have a child theme active, do not activate the Marketers Delight parent theme after finishing the update.
Step 2a – Dropins + Page Leads
BEFORE PROCEEDING TO STEP 3:
1) if you have installed any Dropins from the Dropins Library you must update them in your child theme now.
2) Page Leads are REMOVED from Marketers Delight! But don’t worry, you can now install Page Leads as a Dropin to your child theme which will allow you to keep your Page Leads data in MD5.0. Why the change? MD5.0 will focus on a far superior content builder system and Page Leads are an old idea put to rest. It is recommended you move your content away from Page Leads over time.
If you don’t use Dropins and Page Leads, skip this and proceed to Step 3.
The Testimonials, Videos, Glossary, Gallery Blocks, Beacon, and Page Blocks have all been updated to support MD5.0 and can be re-downloaded from the Dropins Library.
After you redownload the Dropin, you must simply replace the current folder in your child theme with the new version. For a refresher, follow the same instructions you did when you installed the Dropins.
Now that the theme files are running on your site, you must upgrade your database immediately to convert your site data to the new formats in MD5.0. Click the “upgrade database” button to begin the automated process.
Step 4 (Upgrade complete)
After the upgrader completes, go to the MD Dashboard to see what’s new and begin to explore what’s new! Make sure the frontend of your website is displaying properly, and fill in anything missing from the settings panel.
Step 4a: Known Bugs
After running the MD upgrader on a variety of sites we have found a few specific parts of your site/settings you will need to double check and possibly reconfigure:
- Go to MD > Optins to set your site’s default email list
- Go to MD > Optins > Popups > Popup Hotspots to re-add hotspots
- Go to Appearance > Widgets > Edit Sidebars to re-add sidebars to custom post types
- Go to Apearance > Menus and unset/correct the Main Menu location if needed
- If you set a custom content or sidebar width, your website will appear way too small. Go to MD > Site Design > Content > Widths to correct values to pixels (no longer percentage based)
Step 5: Child Theme Updates
This section will help you organize your Child Theme’s files and make organization/coding recommendations to stay organized. If you aren’t running a child theme, skip this part.
Much of the MD file structure has been reorganized and some child theme templates have moved and you will need to update some template file locations.
- The /content/ folder has been renamed to /templates/ (but MD still reads the /content/ folder for backwards-compatibility). It is recommended you rename the old content folder to templates.
- 95% of all frontend templates have been moved into the new /templates/ folder so you now have full and easy access to the entire output of your site via child theme
Template File Updates
The following template files have been modified, and it is possible you will need to update their file contents and location in your child theme.
The functions.php file is the main file to execute code in your child theme. This is probably the busiest file you have, and may contain functions no longer needed as MD has evolved over the years.
- Remove wp_enqueue_script() for MD and child theme style.css files. As of MD4.8 you no longer need to manually load your child theme and MD style.css file—they are both loaded automatically.
- Remove any unused functions. Download the latest blank MD child theme and compare it to yours. Notice how the child theme functions.php file is just about empty, so use it as a basis for what unused functions may still be cluttering up the file
- Remove (if it exists)
add_filter( 'widget_text', 'do_shortcode' );
Many styles, typography, and spacing has been vastly improved and the MD stylesheet has been updated responsibly to transition onto your site as smoothly as possible.
The only major CSS helper class change you will need to change is
.format. This is the main typography class used to style fonts and add nice spacing to elements.
Otherwise, take this time to remove and organize any CSS your site may no longer need—MD does a lot right out of the box these days.
Hire Alex to Upgrade Your Website to MD5.0
I have dedicated extra hours to give you everything you need to safely upgrade your site. I am even back at the MD Forums to answer any questions for doing the upgrade yourself.
…but sometimes that isn’t enough. If you don’t have the time or you would prefer me, Alex (the creator of MD), to upgrade your site I can handle everything for you.
In addition to upgrading your site to Marketers Delight 5.0, I will also fully optimize and clean up your child theme for best performance and organization. I will also give you a list of other recommendations I see for you to further optimize your site.
To do this for you I am charging a one time fee of $75 here with a turnaround within a week (usually no more than a few days). If you also need to update your license key to get MD5.0 I will give you a package deal.
Remember, between the MD updater, upgrade guide, and support forums, you have what you need to update your site, so this offer is for those of you that want it done with a professional edge.